- Start: Macclesfield station (station code MAC, postcode SK11 6JP)
- Finish: Macclesfield station (station code MAC, postcode SK11 6JP)
- Distance: 17.32km
- Total ascent: 419m
- Naismith time: 4h 10m
- London terminus: Euston
- Ticketing: Day return to Macclesfield (much less expensive if booked in advance)
- Intermediate transport: Buses to Macclesfield at Langley (4.41km) and Kerridge (11.74km: frequent services 1.1km distant in Bollington)
- Facilities: All facilities in Macclesfield; café at Tegg’s Nose Country Park (6.98km); pubs at Gurnett (2.56km) and Kerridge (11.74km)
This walk is probably at the outer limit for a day out from London, both in terms of time constraints and cost. Being prepared and booking tickets well in advance could save you more than 75% on the walk-up price. However, this is an energetic and bracing delight of a circuit, with extensive views and (normally) relatively few people. The route may be shortened by using the bus to Langley and/or from Bollington: you will not miss any of the heights, but you will miss the canal walking at each end of the full route, and that walking can be very useful to start up the legs before Tegg’s Nose and to wind down gradually after leaving White Nancy.
- Full details, including directions
Disclaimer and advisory notices
Note that lwalks.london can accept no responsibility for content on an external site or in an external publication, nor for any action by an external site which renders our content or link outdated or unworkable. Furthermore, lwalks.london retains the liberty to unlink external content at any time if the content loses relevance to the linking page(s).
Images used on the lwalks.london site are either owned by lwalks.london, or are subject to a licence-to-use held by lwalks.london. These images must not be further used by any third party without the explicit permission of lwalks.london, or of the original image licensor. A small number of images are in the public domain.
Routes are to be followed entirely at the walker’s own risk: lwalks.london can take no responsibility for any inconvenience, damage, loss or injury caused by attempting to follow a route, which is no more than a mere suggestion of a possible enterprise.
We should be happy to learn of any changes to the line of a walk and/or its attendant facilities, or to consider an image which you own for inclusion on the site, lwalks.london thus being granted a free and non-exclusive licence to use the image anywhere on its site. Please contact us.